Despite the benefits of the hotter months, our skin demands special attention in order to avoid harmful UV rays, clogged pores and dehydration. To help you navigate the scorching season, we asked four inspiring women to share their summer skincare secrets.
Olivia Yemi Suleimon (DJ Yemi Sul) – Sydney, Australia
DJ & Creator at Freckle TV
Olivia lives in sunny Sydney and takes her skincare seriously, especially in the summertime. Her routine remains consistent throughout the year, applying SPF 50+ daily. Her trick is listening intuitively to her skin, providing it with extra hydration with a nourishing night mask. Olivia also applies a daily oil after showering before her moisturizer and sunscreen to keep her skin nourished and protected.
As Olivia was blessed with a sunkissed smattering of freckles, her face is particularly susceptible to sun damage, so her summer skincare focus is shielding her face and maintaining a radiant glow.
Olivia’s Top Tips:
1. Wear SPF 50+ all year round.
2. Use a night mask for extra hydration when your skin feels tired.
3. Apply a daily oil before moisturizer and sunscreen for nourishment.
4. Drink 2 litres of water every day to hydrate from within.
Cat Sarsfield – London – Strategy, Writing, and Project Management
Cat is a London local, a city not known for its harsh rays. However, she spends weeks of the year in Vancouver, LA and Cornwall. When it’s warm outside, Cat focuses on combatting sweat-induced breakouts by using hydrating masks and pore-cleansing treatments. At night, she uses a cleansing face wash and a face oil, incorporating gua sha massage techniques to enhance skin health.
She advises keeping it simple by using only a few products and not chopping and changing them too often. “Have your signature products, don’t get too swept into the marketing, and make sure you get some (protected) vitamin D on your face!”
Cat’s Top Tips:
1. Use a hydrating mask twice a month and a cleansing pore mask once a week.
2. Even if you have olive skin, SPF is essential.
3. Find the ingredients that work for you and stick to them.
Zinam Klaas – Cape Town, South Africa
Full-Time Student, Part-Time Model & Stylist
Zinam is a multi-hyphenate creative as vibrant as the South African city where she lives. The sun can do wonders for her skin as long as she’s prepared, so the key is having SPF on hand for top-ups throughout the day. Zinam experiences eczema flare-ups, especially during the changing of seasons, so managing this can be challenging. It’s smoother sailing for her in summer compared to the consistent moisturizing required in winter.
The secret in the sunny seasons is using gentle but protective products. Her daily skincare routine in summer involves plenty of SPF application, incorporating a vitamin C serum into her repertoire and ensuring her skin is hydrated with a light daily moisturizer.
Zinam’s Top Tips:
1. Use lighter moisturizers and products during summer.
2. Use different moisturizers for the day and for the nighttime. Vitamin C is a game-changer for daily moisturizers,
3. Have SPF readily available at all times, and make sure to reapply.
Martina Martian – Sydney
Photographer & Content Creator
Martina adjusts her skincare routine to meet her skin’s specific needs during different seasons. In winter, she focuses on combating dryness by using more products to lock in moisture and repair her skin. During the summer, she opts for a minimalistic approach, using fewer products to hydrate her skin while allowing her pores to breathe. To protect her skin from the sun she suggests investing in a high-quality, hydrating, and non-greasy sunscreen and to cover up throughout the day.
Martina’s Top Tips:
1. Customize your skincare routine according to the season, keeping it minimal during summer.
2. Invest in a quality, hydrating, and non-greasy sunscreen to protect your skin.
3. Gently massage oil into your skin for 20 minutes while reading or watching tv. It draws out blackheads and gently exfoliates.